- Planning &
- Curriculum Design &
- Data Teams®
The International Center helps you build effective teaching practices through a powerful, high-impact sequence that includes a blend of face-to-face courses, job-embedded coaching, and online learning.
Face-to-Face Courses – Foundations of Effective Instruction
Teachers develop and enhance their expertise through research-based, classroom-tested teaching practices. Our consultants provide in-person professional development that is engaging, dynamic, and focused on actionable strategies that promote effective teaching to engage and motivate students.
Courses can be tailored for your specific objectives as defined by a Needs Assessment. Each of the courses below is designed to be delivered in a single day for up to 30 participants.
Creating a Rigorous and Relevant Learning Environment
- Understand how rigor, relevance, and relationships support the foundations of effective instruction
- Begin applying the skills and tools aligned with rigor and relevance to create a more engaging learning environment
- Develop action items for creating an engaging learning environment
Applying Rigorous and Relevant Instructional Strategies
- Implement effective instructional strategies to raise rigor and relevance
- Analyze and apply Common Core State Standards
- Cultivate higher level thinking through questioning, academic discussion, and writing strategies
Unpacking and Designing Next Generation Assessments
- Identify the difference between formative, benchmark, and summative assessments
- Critique existing assessments for rigor and relevance
- Develop a high rigor/high relevance assessment
Using Data to Inform Instruction
- Cultivate a working definition of differentiation and scaffolding
- Differentiate by content, process, product, and resource
- Create a learning progression to scaffold instruction
Collaborating for Continuous Professional Learning
- Develop comprehensive lessons aligned to standards
- Establish goals and associated actions for professional growth
- Collaborate effectively with peers to develop and share ideas related to increasing rigor, relevance and relationships
A powerful complement to face-to-face courses, job-embedded instructional coaching is a collaborative process in which a coach works shoulder-to-shoulder with each teacher to make instructional transformation a reality. Coaching is personalized to meet the needs of each individual teacher, but typically consists of:
- Personalized support to help teachers implement and monitor instructional strategies and assessments
- Observation and feedback to help build skills to increase student achievement
- Facilitated data analysis to provide strategies and tactics to meet the needs of all students
Coaches can visit up to four teachers per day. We recommend a sustained coaching initiative consisting of at least one visit per month per teacher. This can be customized to meet your specific objectives and needs.
Making Academic Gains by Engaging Families and Community at Cabell County School District
- Increasing the rigor and relevance of instruction, incorporating differentiated instruction, project-based learning, and stretch learning into every classroom
- Improving communication with families and community by encouraging home visits and parent-teacher conferences and inviting community groups and business leaders to be members of district planning committees
"We have seen an increase in our reading, our science, and our math. Our graduation rate has gone up; the dropout rate has gone down. Over the years, we have seen a lot of great things happen in our system that go back to this relationship with ICLE."